Monday 19 September 2011

Stir fried Szechuan vegetables

Its neither because of V's constant coaxing nor is it because of the creativity issues (the lack of) in my life that I am starting a blog of my own. There is rather a very simple reason behind it, which is- I have recently discovered my love for cooking. I have very lately realized that it is something that I enjoy doing all the time; it soothes my senses, allays my tensions- a total stress buster! 


Although I truly love spending my energies in the kitchen, I must admit that I am a novice as of now. Thus the name of the blog :). I hope that I can, in good time change the name to 'a Veteran's kitchen' but till then I am going to share my freshman tales of experiments in the kitchen.


To start with, today I made Stir fried Szechuan vegetables. Being the Chinese food enthusiast that I am, I keep experimenting with different sauces, styles and ingredients. V is not very fond of Chinese cuisine but he loved this one. It would be blowing my own trumpet but it was actually very nice. Having lots of exotic vegetables at hand was definitely a contributing factor (Courtesy: http://www.veggibazaar.com/). There is something that I do before cooking anything new; a lot of research. I ask anyone who can tell me about the recipe and the nuances, I do a thorough online search and then finally with some personal tweaks I do what suits the occasion best. 
So here it goes:


Stir fried Szechuan vegetables
Ingredients:
Baby corns- 4 pieces 
Zucchini- 1 (about 8" long)
Broccoli- 10-12 florets
Egg plant- 3 small sized
Cabbage- a quarter of a medium sized bulb
Carrots- 2 medium sized
Garlic(crushed)- 3 cloves
Ginger(shredded)- 1/2" piece
Dried red chillies(crushed)- 3
Sesame seeds(white)- 1tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Chinese salt- 1 tsp
Szechuan stir fry sauce (Ching's secret)- 3 tbsp
Cooking oil- 3 tbsp


Cut the Baby corns, broccoli, cabbage and carrots into equal bite sized pieces. Cut the egg plant and zucchini into round thin slices. Stir frying involves stirring the vegetables at high heat and is done quickly so it is essential that the size of the vegetable pieces are approximately equal to cook them uniformly. In a large wok at medium-high flame heat up the oil, season it with garlic, red chillies and sesame seeds. When the garlic starts to turn brown, add the baby corns, carrots and the egg plant stirring constantly. After 2-3 minutes, add broccoli and zucchini and stir for 2-3 minutes. Finally add the cabbage and stir for 2 more minutes. Add the Stir fry sauce, salt and the chinese salt. Stir for a minute more and serve sizzling.
I would suggest, just try it out with any vegetables that are in the fridge. It is pretty easy to execute, tastes wonderful and looks gorgeous when served!


I don't have a very good picture since it was taken from my cell phone as the camera has some technical problems. 





1 comments:

Meenakshi said...

Hey fresher,
Keep it up.u r an inspiration to lazy ones like me. seems mouth watering.Do keep trying.U r as intelligent as yr mom.

Post a Comment